Tawny's Reviews > The Complete Stories

1001935
Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: short-stories
Read in April, 2012

O'Connor's characters are severely flawed and make me feel much better about myself. Each of her stories is ironic, tragic, and/or horrific, which makes for some great reading! Favorite lines:
1. “The past and the future were the same thing to him, one forgotten and the other not remembered; he had no more notion of dying than a cat” (139).
2. “My wife said knowing two languages was like having eyes in the back of your head. You couldn’t put nothing over on her” (233).
3. “Besides the neutral expression that she wore when she was alone, Mrs. Freeman had two others, forward and reverse, that she used for all her human dealings. Her forward expression was steady and driving like the advance of a heavy truck” (271).
4. “Mrs. Hopewell said that people who looked on the bright side of things would be beautiful even if they were not” (275).
5. “We all have different ways of doing, it takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round. That’s life” (279)!
6. “I like to walk in the woods and see what Mother Nature is wearing” (284).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Stories.