MandyM's Reviews > Conviction

Conviction by Lissa Kasey

May 02, 12

bookshelves: m-m-romance
Read from May 01 to 03, 2012

Book 3 (plus or minus several free short stories) in the excellent Dominion series. In this one we see Sei's friend and fellow student Kelly, connect with Sei's brooding bear of a brother, Jamie. The overall plot advances too as old enemies are finally vanquished and minor characters evolve towards their own stories.

I wasn't as enamoured of this volume as much as previous stories. Maybe rereading the previous stories (or at least Jamie's short story would have helped but I was too impatient. For me the book struggled as a standalone novel. It felt disappointingly like 'filler' between other stories. But it was great to catch up with everyone and the very tragic Sam's appearance is a highlight. I was also interested in Con. I'd love to read more about him. Gabe and Sei were excellent as usual.

The romance between Jamie and Kelly was underwhelming. Jamie is his usual taciturn, obsessed-with-Sei self and Kelly is not much better. The obstacle to their relationship is the 'lack of communication' trope and the only reason for them getting together (apart from some sexual attraction) seems to be a need to belong to Sei's family. The story is told in both POV's and each chapter goes something like this:

- Jamie finds out an important piece of information or realises something about his feelings for Kelly but won't tell him.

next chapter:

- Kelly finds out an important piece of information or realises something about his feelings for Jamie but won't tell him.

It goes back and forth throughout the novel to the extent that it really annoyed me and I lost interest in them as a couple. This book is shorter than he other two main books in the series and I don't think enough time was spent on Kelly's (view spoiler).

Fans of the Dominion will enjoy this book but I'm not sure if it will convince new readers to try the whole series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conviction.