William Evan's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Salman Rushdie

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: contemporary

What to say in reviews that has not been said?

I find, that you must come to each individual work with a new heart, and keep your mind open, irrelevant of the author's past works. "Midnight's Children," and "The Satanic Verses," are easily comparable to this since they are all Rushdie's works. But an authors abilities are always changing, here, in Fury, he has written something new, and with a new voice (To me, the voice feels different anyways), so come to it as something new. Not like you're expecting a Satanic Verses sequel.

This was my first Rushdie novel, so maybe that's just me.
I enjoyed all his other works as well, but this will have a place in my mind. Always.

In fact, I found the voice almost innovative compared to the multitude of current writer's such as -- God save me, I dislike even naming them -- Stephenie Mayer, or Nicholas Sparks.
I find the one thing you can compare about authors despite their various genres is their voice. Though I prefer to contrast.

Anyways, I've rambled long enough. The voice is speaking to you, you don't have to like it, or you may love it, and wish it to whisper to you in your sleep. This book gave me a love of Rushdie, and I shall never forget that, for he has gotten me through endless nights.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.