Sheila DeChantal's Reviews > The Shoemaker's Wife

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

Apr 04, 12

Read in April, 2012

As if I did not already love Adriana's beautiful writing, she comes up with this breathtaking Historical Fiction novel that made my heart leap from the very first time I seen it! Cover, title, synopsis, all three captivated me and made me want to drop everything and read it right away.

As always Adriana writes characters so delightfully detailed and three-dimensional that I feel as though I would know them anywhere. Family also seems to play a large theme throughout Adriana's writing, something I bask in - the warmth the commitment, and it is shown to run deep in Ciro and Enzo as well.

Written in alternating chapters, as the reader we are able to enjoy seeing the story unfold from both Ciro and Enzo's world. I followed the story line closely feeling as though I too was hanging around the corner watching what was about to unfold. The fact that a part of this book lands in Minnesota, of course, just makes me happy!

As Adriana tends to do, this story is inspired by a true story, and in this case it is molded from Adriana's own grandparents who grew up in the Alps, but met in the United States after they emigrated.

My final thoughts: I have read and enjoyed many of Adriana's books and this one is no exception, in fact I think this one rates as one of my favorites of her ten books. If you start this book, you are not going to want to put it down. Consider yourself warned and allow yourself a good afternoon or evening to really sink deeply into this powerful story that will cause your heart to swell and your mind to explore the possibilities... This is a book I will read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shoemaker's Wife.