Misfit's Reviews > The Wolf and the Dove

The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: wall-banger, anachronisms-ahoy, medieval-make-believe
Read in January, 2008

Appalling! The worst medieval romance I have ever read. The Wolf and the Dove starts in 1066 as William has invaded England and the conquering Normans take control of the Saxons and their lands. I'd go into the plot in detail, but so many other reviewers have already done so I don't see the need to rehash it again. What I want to address are the many many things I found wrong with this book,

* I'm not a history major but I thought that after conquering England William inter-married the Norman and Saxon nobility to ensure a harmonious transition, but Lady Aislinn is turned into a slave to be used at Wolfgar's whim? Not only that, but when he brings his "slave/mistress" to London he takes her to court and presents her to William!!??
* Aislinn is eighteen years old, that's right eighteen years old, beautiful, educated, intelligent and unmarried. Eighteen years old and unmarried when girls were married at fourteen and fifteen, and a spinster at 16. Righto.
* I know the heroine always has to be beautiful and all the guys desire her, but come on! By page 200 I've lost count of how many times her bodice has been ripped and she's been groped. Maybe this was where the term bodice ripper came from!
* Well bred women in medieval times kept their hair braided and covered, yet Aislinn's glorious tresses are always flowing free, for all to see and no one is shocked. Worse yet, not once, but twice she's so carried away to hurry to greet new arrivals that she forgets to put her shoes on!!?? Helloooooooo...
* While I don't expect historical accuracy in a romance, there was just one too many outright boners in this book that just had me rolling my eyes. Potatoes and Velvet in the 11C? I don't think so.

Worst of all, at least for this reader, was no chemistry at all between Aislinn and Wolfgar, a death knell for a romance novel. Aislinn was a spineless twit and Wolfgar was a pompous overbearing macho male chauvinist p.....well you know what. The book was long winded and I found myself skipping many pages on my way to the final and painful ending. I have read other books by Woodiwiss and while not high fiction I've found them a pleasant way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. However, this book is not one of them, and I strongly urge other potential readers to consider all the opinions carefully before making this your reading choice. For those looking for well written, historically accurate tales of England at the time of the Conquest, I would recommend Elizabeth Chadwick's The Winter Mantle or THE CONQUEST. As quoted on some of her book jackets, the next best thing to time travel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf and the Dove.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Barbara M. "Boddice ripper" Hilarious girl!!! Your review was right on!

message 9: by Ivie (new) - rated it 1 star

Ivie I got to bout 20%,and felt my intelligence dwindling with every page read.... the worst pile of sh*t i have encountered in this genre....

message 8: by Tadiana (new)

Tadiana Hah! This was the first bodice ripper I ever read. I was a teenager, but even then I was savvy enough to realize that this was pretty bad stuff.

Misfit I have enjoyed her other books better, but this was just dire.

message 6: by Willow (last edited Mar 04, 2014 06:45PM) (new)

Willow I actually probably could ignore the historical inaccuracies if the story is compelling, but what this book really did that I couldn’t ignore was bore the snot out of me. Talk about a snoozefest. And yes I got very tired of every guy in the world wanting Aislinn. Bad guys wanted to rape her, good guys loved her, and all women hated her because she was SO beautiful. She couldn’t go to the privy without some dude wanting to attack her.

Misfit Willow wrote: "I actually probably could have ignored the historical inaccuracies if the story is compelling, but what this book really did that I couldn’t ignore was bore the snot out of me. Talk about a snoozef..."

That too (crappy story). Gosh this is an old review.

message 4: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Bodices should have been made with sturdier fabric, for sure.

Misfit Susan wrote: "Bodices should have been made with sturdier fabric, for sure."

:D

Mwana Mali Dude, it's fiction... Get over it.

Misfit Mwana wrote: "Dude, it's fiction... Get over it."

Fiction or not, it's a terrible story, and my opinion in my review space. Dont't like it, don't read it [my review].