Misfit's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Aug 20, 08

Read in January, 2007

The most unforgettable opening and closing sentences ever found in a book! I will never, the rest of my life forget these two sentences. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness...." and at closing "It is a far, far, better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

Wow, this is not your usual Dickens. No quirky characters with strange names and laugh out loud moments, just a darn good story -- the story of two cities, London and Paris. It is difficult to put the plot into words, but when the book begins you are in London at the time of the American revolution and spies (or suspected spies) abound, and the story eventually switches to France prior to and during the French revolution.

Dickens does a marvelous job (as always) of building his story one step at a time and slowly peeling back the layers one at a time. This is not a put down and pick it up a week later kind of a book, it is very intense and complicated and you have to pay close attention. I was just floored at how he sucked me in with his descriptions of the mobs, terror and the madness of the revolution leading you to a nail biting finish. I admit to holding my breath during those last few pages!

Highly recommended, and well worth the time to discover (or rediscover) an old classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misfit Having a giggle over the new cover this edition has on the free kindle version.

Diane Lynn That's good for a laugh. Who picks the kindle covers? They're only off by what, 100 years or so!

Misfit Isn't that a hoot?