Natalie's Reviews > The Blue Sword

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

Apr 04, 12

Read in April, 2012

This was my first experience with this author's books. Every time I looked up popular fantasy, this book, along with the author, turned up. I decided to give it a chance.
I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I found this book an intriguing mix of contemporary along with the imaginative bent that comes with a fantasy novel. Along with that, this book would appeal greatly to those that feel male fantasy heros outweigh female fantasy heroines.
Of course, I will slip in that if you like bloody battle scenes with dead bodies littering the ground, loads of bloodshed and multiple scenes involving paralyzing fear, you're not going to find it in this book. Naturally there is battle and fights to the death, but the author spares us gory details.
Overall, I enjoyed the story of Harry and her adventure. It wasn't like Harry turned from an ugly duckling into a swan. It appeared to me as though the author wanted from the start for everyone to know that Harry was...different. So her transformation from young lady dancing at balls with young soldiers to sword-wielding heroine wasn't so unbelieveable.
Lastly, I'll say that for anyone like myself that has a fondness for romance in fantasy adventure stories, this book will greatly appeal to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Sword.