Kristen's Reviews > Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need

Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder

Oct 13, 08

Read in October, 2008

I bought a few different books on screenwriting to help me with some sticking points on my current script... This is one of the ones I bought.

First, there is some very good information in this book on beats and structure as long as you don't take everything as gospel. Having been a theater major I've already been soaked though with character, motivation, beats, etc... but this was still a nice refresher on some of what I already knew. For me the best information was the pushing of the log lines, and the index card breakdown... I use index cards, but like Snyder's idea for them better.

Why this book doesn't get 5 stars - first, most of this info can be found in Syd Field's books and his credibility is a little higher.

Second - The tone, or voice of the book. Snyder writes in a very conversational tone... and unfortunately I found the voice to be a bit self-absorbed and irritating. If I had to read anymore about his stupid movie "Blank Check" I would have wanted to have burned the book. Also the tone basically implies "If you don't do what I say, you're an idiot." It also gets fairly nasty where the book basically informs the reader that "Memento" was a terrible movie, but NEVER goes into the why, basically poking at the reader with an "If you liked this movie you're an idiot." I personally found a lot of the tone to be fairly confrontational, but since you are reading, you can't argue back.

This book will be easy for many to dismiss since Snyder seems to only write generic family films, but the information in here can help you with your screenplay even if (like me) you're working on a horror film.

If you are looking for a book to go into the actual formatting aspect, this book does NOT go into formatting at all. This is more about story structure and characterization. I don't think that this will be the "last book you will ever need" but it does contain some descent information if you can make it past the tone and argumentative nature of the writing style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save the Cat!.

10/02/2008 page 128