Mellissa's Reviews > How to Raise a Good Kid

May 03, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in May, 2012

This book was great!

To begin- this book is more of a memoir than a prental how-to, which is why it is a great read for parents! Funny stories ranging from camping trips to first NFL games were not only entertaining but at times were laugh-out-loud comical! This enjoyable read is the type that fills the heart with warm fuzzy feelings and recalls charming memories.

By colorfully illustrating some of his own childhood's memorable moments, O'Dwyer reminds parents today of some of the easily missed rites of passage that were once an all-too common occurance in American households: chores, strong discipline, peer pressures, face-to-face shopping mall interactions, and forced family time. With whit and refreshing humor, O'Dwyer effectively takes his audience to the past and shares the innocent mental processes of his childhood self. Adult readers will be able to identify with many of his stories and thoughts, and find themselves taken back to simpler childhood times.

I loved this book, totally loved it. I finished it quickly with joy and found myself smiling about all of the memories I have of my own childhood, and excited to help create memories for my children.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Raise a Good Kid.