Kathy Russo's Reviews > The Loners

The Loners by Lex Thomas

Apr 04, 12

Read in April, 2012

Goodreads rating “Liked it”: 3.5 out 5 stars

Found Quarantine: The Loners to be similar to Michael Grant’s series Gone. A far bloodier, violent, and darker version, but nevertheless similar. No cute dystopian love story, no supper beautiful teens taking on an unjust government, no fluff. The Loners was a grimy, ugly, dangerous example of human nature descending in to chaos.

My attention was snagged the moment I started reading this book, but it soon wasn’t able to fully keep my attention. I was able to read this in one day, today, in school on my KindleFire, but instead of taking me around 2 periods or so, around 50 min. each, to finish this book I’m a pretty fast reader, it took me all 7 periods, simply because I didn’t find myself completely immersed into the world of The Loners and would begin to be drawn back to the lectures or the outside world, rather than focus solely on the book.

It was a good book and I enjoyed it, simply, it wasn’t phenomenal, but a good read nevertheless.

This sci-fi YA novel tracks the events at a once regular high school after it is infected with a disease fatal to all adults and young children, and is dormant in those going through puberty. The school is suddenly entirely closed off from the world, and the anarchy that follows doesn’t seem a far stretch from what might actually happen.

What makes The Loners most chilling is its realism. Friends band together, rivalries are formed, and the battle to survive begins. There are intense fight scenes, homicidal bullies, and a mysterious government force working to get those who are ‘graduating’—out of puberty that is, and no longer immune to the disease—out of the building.

Honestly, the only part of the story that wasn’t easy to accept was the lack realism of the setup, the beginning of it all. The events that took place were just too unrealistic for me to believe.

I'm glad that the author did not hold back and decided to stick with the reality of the impending situation, no matter how hard it might be for us to swallow. Even if we might like to believe that things would work out perfectlyThey’re just kids right? What harm could they do?, I'm sure that they wouldn't—far from it.

As a high school student myself, I can vouch for it. Honestly, just having a teacher step out of the classroom for a minute makes the class go crazy and out of control—regardless if they’re freshmen or seniors, CP or AP students.

David and Will, two main characters in the story, are brothers with a relationship that most siblings can relate to.
You know what I’m talking about, that love-hate relationship that we all have with our family members. We love them one moment but the next we never want to see them again.
Dave and Will love each other, unconditionally, but they also get into momentous fights that neither is sure they'll ever get over. I liked the relationship between the two, yet hated it at the same time. The fights and disagreements were realistic and I think that’s what made it so frustrating and annoying. I truly pitied the two badly whenever they started to go off on the other.

I enjoyed the book as a whole. I would definitely be interested in the next. It got hard to follow in places, though, and all the jumps meant I didn't get as emotionally connected to the characters as I'd like. Still, it was certainly an exciting, and interesting read.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loners.