Jenifer's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Dec 05, 08

Read in December, 2008

As I started to read this book, I wanted to judge this young man. I wanted to prove to myself that he was stupid, unprepared, and maybe even crazy. He wasn't crazy, but I think he was overly idealistic. He didn't take the usual precautions, that's true. But he was competent enough and only made mistakes that anyone could make who put themselves in this or any other extreme situation.

I liked Krakauer's more forgiving approach. He seemed to understand a lot of the motivation of his subject. He seemed to want to give Chris the benefit of the doubt. I also thought his personal stories and the other related tangents he shared were interesting. I liked his writing and will probably read "Under the Banner of Heaven" at some point.

I admire that Chris actually lived his dream. That he was so obviously true to himself. He seemed motivated by self-discovery more than a desire to brag or tell his story. I was really interested in what he learned near the end, though what we know of that is meager. This was an interesting readable story about transcendentalism and I thought the movie was just as good as the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Great review. Eric loved this book and I have always meant to read it. I'll have to move it up on my list.

message 2: by W. (new)

W. I agree with you,esp. in the end how he think,when he near the death.I can accept any review but I think he is very sincerely for himself.

It seem he learn more and accept some truth that we never as him.Respect for his experiences.

I'll find a book to read,soon.