Colleen's Reviews > roulettetown

Apr 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, physical-books-i-own
Read from April 19 to 26, 2012

I started reading this the day I got back from Vegas so I guess it had a particular poignancy for me because of that. The book is basically a stream-of-consciousness recounting of a really long night at a roulette table. The subject matter seems pretty arcane, at least to me, but the "story" was pretty well-written and I could relate to the narrator's train of thought on most things.

I guess the writing was effective because it stirred some emotion in me: mainly frustration with the narrator's obsessive superstitions, and then some hope that maybe she will finally be done with the roulette table. Or maybe that was just relief that the book was finally coming to an end because, though I enjoyed the writing enough, everything started to get redundant, even a quarter of the way in.

This book was good, but not great. Not something I'd recommend to anyone. Maybe I could view it in a metaphorical sense and see it as a reflection of our obsessive ties to capitalism or technology or something and it would probably be great in that sense - something a high school English class could interpret and discuss. But I'm kind of burned out on stuff like that so I'm not going to bother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read roulettetown.

04/19/2012 page 17
19.0% "I couldn't have gotten this book at a better time. It was waiting for me the night I got back from Vegas. And so far it's a pretty dead on transcription of my inebriated inner monologue while I was there."
show 2 hidden updates…