Dani Alexander's Reviews > Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy

Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy.

message 1: by Aniko (new)

Aniko I love this series! About the best books written on the Arthurian legend IMO.

message 2: by Aniko (new)

Aniko Oh, and there's a fourth book called The Wicked Day from Mordred's POV.

message 3: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Oh good, glad someone else is rec'ing it. I've never read a book like this before. In fact, I've only read two fantasy books/series ever.
I started the Wheel of Time Series but even after trying twice, I couldn't get past book 8-ish.
And then I read a book by Simon Greene which I've absolutely loved:
Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom, #1) by Simon R. Green

If you've read either of those, is this one close to them? LOL

message 4: by Aniko (new)

Aniko I haven't read either of them, but I know of them. This series isn't really fantasy in the way those both are. It's more a take on what might have really happened. The characters are human with all the accompaning flaws and strengths, with a bit of magic thrown in. It's all actually very believable. There's no archetypal villains or holier than thou heroes. They're all people. Some nicer, some nastier, some just caught up in bad circumstances.

message 5: by LenaLena (last edited Apr 05, 2012 10:20AM) (new)

LenaLena Blue Moon rising is fabulous, but nothing like this. BMR is more of a parody of the standard fantasy novel.

Merlin is nothing like Wheel of Time either, which should have wrapped things up, like, around book 8, if not sooner.

This reads more like historical fiction. Did you ever read any of Rosemary Sutcliff's books about ancient Britain? It's closer to that. Of course, Merlin can do magic and he talks to dragons at some point, but because it's from his POV consistently he is very, very human and not some Gandalf type character. But seriously, Dani, there is no HEA! Don't read this if you're going to hate me for recommending it.

message 6: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Aniko wrote: "I haven't read either of them, but I know of them. This series isn't really fantasy in the way those both are. It's more a take on what might have really happened. The characters are human with all..."

Oh \o/ that sounds like something I might like. Damn Marleen! As if I don't have enough on my to-read shelf =(

message 7: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Marleen wrote: "Blue Moon rising is fabulous, but nothing like this. BMR is more of a parody of the standard fantasy novel.

oh oh. This is the no happily ever after. I thought that was the "White" book. Okay no on this one. Maybe years from now when I can handle sad. >8(

And yes, I LOVED BMR. Got annoyed with WoT. Hubby's read WoT like 5-6 times and listened to it on audiotape about 3 times.

I think he has a crush on Matt >8(

I might be jealous.

message 8: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena LOL. Dude, it's the same story! ALL Arthur stories end the same, because they are all based on the same legends. No Arthur books for you!

WoT would be so much better (and half the length) if Jordan wouldn't describe every single dress worn by every woman and Nynaeve would stop pulling her braid.

Matt? Srsly?

message 9: by Dani (new) - added it

WoT would be so much better (and half the length) if Jord..."

Yes Matt, Seriously. >8( Matt?

Nynaeve and her braid EIGHT FREAKING BOOKS OF IT >8( OMG.

And then Aviendha and her YOU ARE NOT AIEL. every five seconds.

RJ felt the need to batter us over the head with the same thing. I think i liked the story though. Except it started getting repetitious like the writing.

Save the circle, someone gets kidnapped, take over the circle, the circle throws the head person out, sieges here an there. Aiel being Aiel on everyone's head.

I'm AmIndian and even I got tired of the Aiel >8(

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

BMR is the only good thing Simon Green wrote.

WoT started out well and went somewhere else. It doesn't help that all the women are like little watching one of those little animated gif thingies that people like to add to their posts on GR: limited and repitious. I like Matt and Perrin better than Rand. Who is an ass.

And I never got past book #8 either and I have no interest in ever picking up this bloated series again. Ever.

message 11: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani Alexander Marleen wrote: "LOL. Dude, it's the same story! ALL Arthur stories end the same, because they are all based on the same legends. No Arthur books for you!"

But I LIKE the movies >8(

Kate wrote: "BMR is the only good thing Simon Green wrote.

haha I liked Rand, but I loved his inner struggle to be stone and cruel. The growth from farmboy innocent hard as nails (like a king really needs to be) to insane. For me that was the height of the story, then it became about Min, Elaine (if she scolded one more person I was going to smack her) and Aviendha.

Why exactly did Rand have to be the stud with three women? What purpose did it serve? Only to make sure he didn't have the torment of leaving one behind as he rose and became a different man. >8( Wasted opportunity...

Erg I need to stop typing about this. That book made me so mad. But I'd read the series up to book 6 again, because book 4 and 5 were $$$$$$.

I've only read BMR. Fucking hilarious. Only fantasy book I've read besides WoT. I keep telling myself to read more of them, but nothing captures my attention.

message 12: by Aniko (new)

Aniko You do know the Arthurian legends, right, Dani?! Lol. Seriously, it's a really good series and well worth any tears that may or may not be shed :-D It's not like it's all drawn out angst or anything. Promise! Mostly, it's just utterly fascinating.