Christine's Reviews > The Long Way Home

2941914
Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 31 to June 11, 2012

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from GoodReads' First Reads program. This review reflects my honest opinion.

By a series of coincidences, a group of women who were formerly strangers befriend each other and end up in a car on a road trip to Las Vegas. One of the women is psychic, one woman's boyfriend recently died, another is a reclusive widow, and the fourth is the mother of a young woman who was murdered. They are certainly an eclectic bunch and putting the four of them together makes for quite an adventure.

This was a fast-moving and enjoyable read; however, I found it a bit unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, I liked reading it and I was interested in following all the different plot lines to the end, but it definitely required a suspension of disbelief. By the third time a scene resolved itself by a stranger coming along at just the right time, I knew I had to just roll with it and stop thinking this story could have really happened. I know it's fiction, so it doesn't really matter if it could happen or not, but I do think it's a fair assessment.

The characters are endearing, but occasionally irritating -- I guess that's what happens when a group of strangers are thrust together. They each evolve, face challenges, and learn things about themselves. While it's not an overly "deep" novel, it offers a good message about overcoming life's obstacles and becoming a better person. Overall, this was a light, "feel-good" read, perfect for a lazy day at the beach.