Mark's Reviews > The Beginner's Goodbye

The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler

Apr 04, 12

Read in March, 2012

Anne Tyler has a special place in my heart and on my bookshelf, but mostly for long-passed novels such as "Breathing Lessons," "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" and "The Accidental Tourist." The last of hers I thoroughly enjoyed was the 1998 "A Patchwork Planet."

Each of the books since then - "Back When We Were Grownups," "The Amateur Marriage," "Digging to America" and "Noah's Compass" - I've apparently forgotten, although I know I read them when they came out. But there's enough of a glimmer there, still, for me to grab "The Beginner's Goodbye" when I saw it.

It's not atypical Tyler: A reserved man who's not lived up to his potential, living in residential Baltimore with smothering family members and friends, working a quirky job that apparently causes no stress or financial hardship. Honestly, I enjoyed this one while reading it, partly from following the heated excesses of George R.R. Martin and the more eloquent but still florid Tim Powers; Tyler's sweet gentility is like a breath of spring air after frigid winter or wilting summer.

Can I recommend this one? Only for Tyler completists. It's a slim thing, an afternoon or even long lunch read. To see why she won the Pulitzer, and why often-good films have been adapted from her work, go back to that '80s peak that began with "Morgan's Passing" and ran through "Dinner," "Accidental Tourist," "Breathing Lessons" and "Saint Maybe."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginner's Goodbye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Linda I agree that Tyler's last few books have not been her best. Nothing can compare to Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant although I think Searching for Caleb is a really close second. Oddly, parts of Ladder of Years and Celestial Navigation stick with me although I didn't care much for Breathing Lessons or The Accidental Tourist and I can barely recall A Patchwork Planet. I guess there is no such thing as a bad Anne Tyler novel! Even Morgan's Passing which left me very unsatisfied, has bits I will never forget. I will keep on reading her books as long as she writes them. Even at her worst, nobody else is that good.

Mark I'll always read her, too. But I can't agree that nobody else is that good. Nobody else is quite like her, though.

Renata Interesting on how many of us identify the same of her best books. I read Searching for Caleb several times and rank Dinner at HR as one of my all time favorites. I almost did not buy Beginner's Goodbye because I really cannot even remember the plots or the characters of her last several books. However, how could I pass it by? I am glad I read it and know that if I need a quick Anne Tyler fix - a jump into her world - I can reread this short novella again for an afternoon tea!

Linda That's the wonderful thing about Anne Tyler - I can always dip into one of her books and lose myself. Even dusting the book shelves, I cannot see one of hers without taking it down and opening it up.

Renata Ahhh..."Even dusting the book shelves, I cannot see one of hers without taking it down and opening it up." Isn't that one of the great pleasures of having a home library??? Its one reason I love summer best...I have the leisure to do just that (not that I haven't been found wantonly leaning and reading in the middle of some other task on a Saturday). It is also why I winnow my bookshelves carefully - I only want treasured temptations! I need to replace Dinner at the HS Restaurant - I miss it as I linger over titles.

Linda Winnowing is very satisfying. I knew my marriage would last when I finally decided we didn't need two copies of mutual favorites. Now I put things on Kindle, which is another form of winnowing. (I try not to think of a world without electronics.) Some physical books remain - the set of Harry Potters my son bought me for Christmas, my old Andersen's Fairy tales with the Arthur Szyk illustrations, and, so far, all my Anne Tylers.