Filippa's Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by James Patterson

Apr 04, 2012

bookshelves: summer-reads-2012, taking-too-long-to-come-out-sequels, books-i-own, end-of-series, ending-that-did-the-series-justice
Read from August 02 to 03, 2012

EDIT EDIT EDIT. REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW. SCROLL DOWN PAST ALL THIS OLD STUFF TO READ IT. SPOILER FREE.

Oh, Max, Max, Max.
Where did it all go wrong? (well...we KNOW where it went wrong, but let's just keep with the rhetorical).
After so many years of reading these books, investing my time, heart and soul into them, its all come down to this.

Every Maximum Ride fan will tell you straight that this series has plummeted downhill faster than Max on overdrive since The Final Warning - it's just an accepted fact. And yet still we've stuck with it, hoping and praying something can be salvaged from the train crash that Patterson has made of.

First, let me get one thing absolutely straight; I adore these characters. Utterly, truly love them. With one notable exception, to whom I will get to later.

What I hate is what James Patterson has done to them, and to the MR series as a whole. The first three books were fantastic. I fell in love with Max's personality, and plunged face first into her world. Gripping, thrilling, God-damned hilarious - just brilliant.
Then we get book 4. We all know what an abomination that was.

It picked up at book 5 - our Max was BACK. Less of the lecture, more kick-butt action MR does best. (Alongside some Faxness ;) ) We forgave JP his FW failings, and took it as a momentary blip that was in the past.

And then book 6. Oh, book 6. Where to begin?
Well, put it this way, I read it in Waterstones on the day of its release, desperate to find out what happened. And somehow the book ended up being thrown to the other side of the room, whilst angry sales assistants glared at me.

What happened to our beloved characters? Where was Nudge/Gazzy/Iggy's roles in the story? Since when did Fang and Max turn into gloop?
JP completely tore away their personalities, and threw them into situations which just wouldn't have happened. It was a betrayal, not only to the readers, but to Max.

Book 7 was worse, if that is indeed possible. Just an appalling plotless drivel that again took all characters OOC.

And now, fellow reviews, there is only Nevermore that can sort out this stupid mess, and bring back our Max. And sadly, I dont see it happening. I think the main problem is that James Patterson never planned that the fans wouldnt like the whole Fang/Dylan/Max saga. Oh, it worked for Twilight and The Hunger Games. What he didnt realise is that it would just fall flat in MR.

Because, blatantly, we HATE Dylan. I'm pretty sure I can say that on behalf of 99.9% of the fanbase. We don't like him, don't see the point in him and sure as hell don't want Max with him.
Max and Fang were just an unquestioned constant in the novels. We didnt WANT a triangle - there was absolutely no need. And its just ruined the whole thing.

The worst part about it is that its looking increasingly likely she'll end up with Dylan.
In her recent 'blogs' its clear JP is trying to persuade the readers to take to him. The readers are simply not.
Take this recent 'blog update' by Max:

"I've told you what I've been obsessed with lately. And you've made it clear what you've been obsessed with: why does everyone want to MURDER Dylan?"

^See?

Besides the whole Dylan thing, there are far too many loose ends that need to be tied up properly in this book. I don't trust JP to at all make a success of them.
Nevermore - like it's title - is looking more and more like a complete disappointment, ending the series on a complete low.

And I ache for it, I truly do, because I love the characters, and their world so much. They've been done a complete injustice by their author, which is surely the biggest sin a writer can committ.

UPDATE: I've just been reading the preview chapters and I want to HURL. Its the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read. I want to grab each character and shake them until they either die *cough* MayaDylan *cough* or get back to the characters they were.

One chapter its all Max going gooey eyed over Dylan, but oh, isn't she supposed to love Fang? But oh, Dylan smells so good and his eyes are blue like the sea and blah blah blah.

And the next its all Fang going gooey eyed over Maya, but oh, she's not Max even though she looks like her. But oh, being with her is so magical and blah blah blah.

EVERY. SINGLE. CHAPTER.

Where's my kick butt Max and Fang? Believe me, I have hormones too. But funily enough they dont make me turn into a pathetic mush. It's sickening, really.

Oh, how I hate you James Patterson.

EDIT EDIT EDIT!!!!!!

Okay, guys. Nevermore was released on August 2nd in the UK. It's now 2am the next day and I've just finished reading it.

To be honest, the only coherent thought I have about it is: DA FUQ WAS THAT?

I swear, the whole thing was a bit of a blur.

I suppose the main thing is: was it good?
Well, maybe. Like I said, I don't really know what to think of it at the minute. And I was so ready to hate it. But to say I liked it is maybe stretching it a bit. I think I was content with it.

This was the end. Every ounce of love, hate and frustration we fans have been building up for years was riding on this book. This was the make or break of how the series will be remembered.

Personally, it could have been a lot worse. It really could.

The first half, though, I was all ready to throw into a bonfire adorned with a James Patterson Guy on top whilst I danced around the edge waving 'The Angel Experiment' in the air. It was exactly the drivel we've been putting up with ever since Dylan entered the scene. (Oh Dylan. How I hate you)

However, it began to change half-way through. It's like it was almost back to the Maximum Ride of old. The characters were almost IN character (you tried, Patterson). But like I say; almost.

I much preffered the Max of this book to the Max of, say, everything after book 5. She still had her OOC moments, of course, but every now and then there were glimpses of the kick butt girl we know and love.
She reminded me why I ever loved the series in the first place.

I'm not going to comment on the whole Max/Fang/Dylan fiasco, because I don't want to ruin it. I won't even give away whether I'm crying with joy or am currently hunting JP down as we speak. If you really cant wait to find out what happens though, drop me a message and I'll let you know.

Ah, the ending. I guess this is what the whole thing was about, right? The official Facebook page made such a hoopla about it being the END of MAXIMUM RIDE. She was going to DIE, DEAD, FOREVER.

Did she? Well....spoilers ;)

No seriously though, that ending was weird. So rushed, unexplained, oddly set out. At times I was staring at the page thinking WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE PEOPLE?

Did the end justify the story? Jury's out on this one I'm afraid.

Did the end justify the means? With Maximum Ride, always.

Now, I'm going to post those ten questions we were promised would be answered in Nevermore. I won't give away those answers, but I will post my own reactions alongside.

1.Who will Max finally choose--her beloved Fang or steadfast Dylan?
No comment.

2.Who is The Voice Max hears in her head?
I admit, I was surprised. And completely unconvinced.

3.Which Member of Fang's Gang will betray him?
Ah, Fang's Gang. How I hated you all. All I'll say here is: memberS

4.Whose side is Angel really on?
Will we EVER know who's side she's on? Okay, maybe I'm being a little unfair here, because Angel goes through hell in this book.

5.Is Jeb trying to protect Max and the Flock? OR is he working for the bad guys?
As with Angel, I don't think we'll ever really know.

6.Will Iggy ever regain his sight?
What a strange question.

7.Why did the Flock evolve to be able to breathe underwater?
Clever. Quite clever. It makes sense now.

8.Will Iggy and Ella ever be together?
Like I'm gonna spoil the fun for all you Eggy lovers out there :)

9.Is the apocalypse the result of human folly and hatred, a disease, a natural disaster, or an invasion from outer space?
I have NO idea. Like I said, the ending was a bit of a haze. Personally, I think it was aliens. Just 'cause.

10.Can Max really save the world?
Could YOU save the whole world?

11.And the most important question of all: who will die? (You didn't think it would end with out someone dying, did you?)
Oh happy days, oh happy DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS

And make of that what you will.
I'll probably write a proper review once everyone's had the chance to read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

08/02/2012

Aras Redan I read the preview as well. And I can now confidently say that I'm depressed and I can't wait two weeks for the book.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I can hardly argue with any of that. It's like a train wreck - awful, but you can't look away. Ever single word since Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports has made me cringe. Ever. Single. Word.

Ice Queen Wanderer •The Cursed Prophetess• The other wisest thing ever typed.

Aisha A. I totally and utterly agree with you! (except about Dylan/Fang/Maya/Max)