The Sweet Bookshelf's Reviews > Spectral

Spectral by Shannon Duffy

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 04 to 14, 2012

First off, the cover is gorgeous! It is also perfect for the book. Right down to the color jade and that little butterfly. Everything is relevant to the story. It is so eye catching and beautiful. The model is...wow. I mean, this is just a great cover. Props to the designer. Isn't it stunning?! This is one of my top favorite covers of 2012.

Now, let me tell you that this book wasn't for me. I'm going to tell you what I like and what didn't resonate well with me. OK?

I was quickly swept up in this story. Its got a great beginning. It reads like a YA contemporary--which I love--while you're waiting for the paranormal aspect to kick in. I liked Jewel--for the most part--and I wanted to get to know her better. I like that this is a witch story. It's been awhile since there has been anything out about witches. It's about time! The story line is original, and that is refreshing. It isn't the same old thing.

I liked Jewel and Roman very much. They have different powers and their characters are likeable. There are also some swoon worthy moments. You know I love me some romance!

What I didn't like so much:

I'm such a romance junkee. I like Roman, but I don't think we got to know him well enough before the romance started happening. It just was there. Because we don't get to know him there were several moments that I wasn't sure if I could trust him or not. Jewel and Roman became romantic too fast. Way to fast. I felt like we missed out on all those special moments that bring a couple together. They just started making out before they knew anything about each other. I also had a problem with the fact that I'd be in the middle of reading an action sequence and then...BAM! They stop everything to make out. But they are still in imminent danger. Don't get me wrong the romance scene's were swoon worthy, but they felt ill timed. Get through the action and then let's make out. Not literally in the middle. Jewel was also on her death bed at one point but she was thinking about how hot Roman looked. I'm not sure that was realistic. Felt very...cheesy. Jewel was also kissing more than one boy and I wanted to take her aside and tell her nobody's going to want to buy the ice cream truck if she's giving out the popsicle's for free. Lots of kissing without actually knowing the boys she was kissing. Make up your mind girl! BUT....that's just me nitpicking.

I wasn't enjoying when the Russian's came into play. Everything started feeling cheesy and stereotypical. I liked the original plot line but maybe the conversations are what felt that way. Just the wording used. BUT...the plot is good. Kept moving fast and it was interesting. I know many of you will enjoy Spectral, I'm just being picky.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spectral.