Philip's Reviews > The Edge of Sadness

The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor

Apr 04, 12

Read from March 29 to April 12, 2012, read count: 2

3/29: It's not unusual for me to put aside a book when I'm struck with a seemingly-irresistible urge to read something else. Yesterday I finished Edwin O'Connor's final novel, All in the Family (1966), which I enjoyed very much; I went on to the next book I'd planned to read, which was as far from the O'Connor novel as possible. But I found myself only partly-focused on the book I was reading, because part of me was still with Edwin O'Connor, wanted to be back in Edwin O'Connor's un-named northeastern city (which is widely acknowledged to be Boston) amongst his colorful Irish-American characters.

I read The Edge of Sadness a number of years ago, perhaps as many as ten, perhaps more, perhaps less - I really can't recall. And while I recall enjoying the book, I don't actually recall very much about it other than that it is about a priest who suffered an alcohol-related breakdown and is rebuilding his life. So I decided that a re-read is in order!

I really love the title of this book, by the way - I find it quite poignant.

4/04: Enjoyed it very much - I'd forgotten almost all the details of the story and characters, so it was pretty much all new to me. Like All in the Family , the only drawback I can find to comment on is the book's lack of action - it's very much a carefully-assembled and -connected series of conversations, some of great length, and perhaps, in the last third or so, the conversations become a trifle repetitious. But it was very readable nevertheless.

(For the record, I read the original Atlantic Monthly/Little, Brown hardcover edition published in 1961, which ran to 460 pages).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Edge of Sadness.