Space Council's Reviews > The Final Empire

Apr 04, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 22 to May 02, 2012

WOW.....

I have never in my life been so quickly, easily and completely enraptured by a fantasy "secondary creation" universe. Everything about this book is absolutely top notch quality and is obviously well thought out.

The Characters are astoundingly awesome. Some are deeper/more complex then others but that is just the nature of story telling. You can't get bogged down in everyones past immediately upon them entering the plot. Truly good characters take time to flesh out in their entirety but should be at least interesting enough that you care for them..even if they are totally evil. They are still widly interesting.

Our 2 main characters are Vin and Kelsier. Vin being a lowly slave child forced into theivery because work on the plantaions is arguably... more harsh. And Kelsier being deemed "the survivor of the Pits of Hathsin". The one who escaped death.

The story deviates a bit from those 2 perspectives at appropriate times however.

One of the reasons I was so captured by the world was how easily Brandon Sanderson brings you in. Its not a gigantic info drop where action and story completely stands still, its much more of a great interesting story that tells you exactly the amount of information you need at that time whilst retaining a certain mystery of the events that will inevitably befall our heros.

Another of the reasons I love this world is the magic system, called Allomancy. This is a magic system where people are given superhuman powers yes, but isn't magic for the sake of being magic. Resources are spent, it involves burning the metal inside your body. Its rule based, some level of basic physics are involved when using external powers such as Ironpulling and Steelpushing. But The vast majority of the powers granted to a Mistborn are internal powers such as burning Brass and Zinc to soothe or riot peoples emotions. There are other metals like Copper, and Bronze that have less interesting uses but I suppose are required for good "Heist" type storylines.

I think there is a small overarching thread between some of the characters "not being able to choose who you love" comes to mind.

I really enjoy Sandersons use of philosophies with the keepers and terrisman.(Sazed is awesome) All religions are vaild to those who believe in them and even though something or someone may seem like a god, he is really just a man but that doesn't mean a man cannot become a god, or at least a symbol and given enough time.. a legend.

This is without a doubt one of the best I've ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.