Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > Charade

Charade by Cambria Hebert

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

An Overview of the Novel: Sam and Heven are in more danger than ever. Heven and Sam have been entrusted with a sacred scroll that includes everybody who will make good contributions in the world (ie: who will find the cure for cancer). Heven and Sam want to keep it safe; the demons want it so they can get kill off these people before they can successfully accomplish what they are destined to do.

Word is out that Heven has the document and the demons will do anything to have it back. Heven will do anything to protect it and Sam will do anything to protect Heven.

But when everybody is after you, who can you really trust? Heven knows she can trust Sam, but the list stops there. Heven and Sam love each other and would do anything for each other. But what do you do when everything seems to be set on tearing you apart.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I love Cambria Hebert's writing. I have read three short stories by her and now two novels. Each time I am sucked in more absolutely. She is a master at characterization and at developing intriguing plots that will leave you sucked in from the very first page to the very last page.

I loved Heven and Sam after reading Masquerade, the first novel in the series. So I was anxious to discover what happened to them next. Often novels experience what is known as the sophomore slump. Charade expertly avoided that trap and that makes me even more excited to read the third one in the series.

I love that Heven and Sam both seem so real and that we get to see inside both of their heads through the switching POVs. However, Cambria also does a great job at creating strong secondary characters. Some of them I absolutely hate, others I love, and others just frustrate me. She does an excellent job at portraying the whole spectrum.

And then comes her ability to create a gripping plot. This is a genre that I normally wouldn't love, but Cambria is just such a great writer that I have loved both books in this series anyway.

If you like a writer who creates brilliant characters and an incredible plot, then look no further than Cambria Hebert.

So Why starts 4.5 out of 5 stars? I loved this novel. Cambria was an expert at characterization and at developing the plot. I loved both of those elements. It just lacked that extra something to make this a 5-star rating; that something that makes you so wrapped up in a book that you can't think about anything else. However, I still really loved the novel.

In Summary: Cambria Hebert's Heven and Hell series will sweep writers away and plant them into a world full of intrigue, suspense, and love that they won't want to leave.

Warnings/Side-notes: This novel is actually quite clean in all aspects. That's something I really like. I don't think books need to be edgy to be good, and I love that this novel shows that.

The Wrap-up: Basically, I adored this novel in case you couldn't tell. I'll be anxiously awaiting until I can read the next book in the series. Sam and Heven are definitely two characters I need to read more about. Check out Masquerade, you won't regret doing it. Even if this isn't your normal genre of choice, I still think you'll like this one. Just give it a shot.

Love,

Danica Page

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charade.