Brian's Reviews > Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus

Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman

Jul 24, 14

Read from July 17 to 19, 2012

This was a fantastic book! It points out the problem that often people think they are followers of Christ when in reality they are just fans. Fans are passionate, loud, excited, and look a lot like followers. The difference is that followers are willing to sacrifice everything to follow Christ, not just act excited about the prospect. They don't just know about Christ they actually know Him. They don't just say they will give everything for His cause, they actually do it.

Idleman describes it quite well when he says that some people say they believe one thing and do another, but what they would call belief a psychologist would call a delusion. He doesn't set out to cause people to doubt, but rather to convict. And I think we can all be honest that follower or fan, we could all use a good kick every so often.

This book is for everyone, fans, followers, pastors, seekers, etc. He goes through and describes why there is a difference between fan and follower, explains that Jesus invites us all to follow, and explains what following looks like. My only qualm with the book is that He doesn't talk much about how we can know Jesus and follow His will. But that isn't a huge issue because those who truly seek will find.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not a Fan.