Joe's Reviews > Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, 2012
Read in April, 2012

Why was this book, which came out before the Da Vinci Code and is arguably more thrilling, not the huge blockbuster its little brother turned out to be? I think the answer lies in the secret at the heart of each book. Angels & Demons focuses on the battle between science and religion, and thus makes us choose a side even as the novel continually flips the two around. But the secret of the Da Vinci code is a human secret, beyond science and religion, and the quiet power of its implications makes every character both anxious to learn it and reluctant to share it.

I don't want to review this book as much as give a little advice if you're thinking of reading it. If you love Italy, and Rome in particular, the setting alone will drag you into it. It's a masterfully crafted thriller with an extraordinarily absurd ending. There's nothing wrong with that, but you should know what you're getting into (spoiler alert): people surviving jumping out of exploding helicopters without a parachute. One twist, though, is absolute genius, the sort of coincidence that hundreds of years of papal history teaches us is just strange enough to be true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels & Demons.