Jade Walker's Reviews > Insignia

Insignia by S.J. Kincaid

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: rated-a
Read from April 13 to 15, 2012

I have been in such a reading slump lately as I've read a few pretty average books and nothing has really completely grabbed me, thankfully Insignia has pulled me out of that slump! I loved it.

To start with, I wasn't completely convinced, the start wasn't slow paced but it didn't completely grab me and I started out feeling as though I was just getting into another good but average book, by the end I was gripped and could not put the book down. The pacing picked up pretty quickly and though it dipped at a few points (especially where the science/technology talk came up) it still kept me reading.

I loved the characters, to start with Tom is just a loner, a bit of a loser with a gambling father but by the end he is a young man with a group of friends and a strong resolve... oh yeah, and a computer in his brain. I loved Tom's friends, especially Vik who was absolutely hilarious (I'm not quoting because I read and ARC copy but there is a bit with a girl and a chat up line that had me rolling over in laughter), Wyatt and Yuri are both kind of 'broken' in their own way and I loved watching Tom's friendship fix them.

And the storyline... wow! I've seen it compared to books like The Hunger Games and Divergent but personally I see no similarities aside from the futurism, this book is totally unique and just what the book industry needs right now. I also can't see a set target audience, I loved it and I'm an eighteen year old that doesn't usually go for boos with 14 year old protagonists but I can also see it appealing to boys aged eleven to eighteen, definitely versatile.

Overall, Insignia brings something unique to the young adult market. It's jam-packed with action, humour and friendship and is a book that i would recommend to boys and girls, young and old.

Overall Rating: A-
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insignia.

04/13/2012 page 17