Betsy's Reviews > Ghetto Cowboy

Ghetto Cowboy by G. Neri

419395
Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: childrens, middle-grades, realistic-fiction, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

You know you want to read a book with this title: Ghetto Cowboy. I mean, c'mon--doesn't that pique your interest just a teeny tiny bit??

This was a very cool book on a number of levels. First, I had no idea that there WERE such things as ghetto cowboys (and, yes, there are!). Cool.

Second, the single-parent-drops-kid-off-with-long-lost-other-parent plot line has gotten old. Until now. Somehow, the setting of an urban stable with ghetto cowboys makes it cool. Really.

Third, the parents are better parents by the end of the book than they are at the beginning, but not so dramatically that it's unbelievable. Cool.

Fourth, kid-finding-himself themes can be trite. Again, that idea works in this book with its terrific setting. Very cool.

Fifth, this novel manages to be very urban in setting, characterization, etc. BUT manages to stay away from some of the messiness of lots of urban street lit (no profanity, no real violence, etc.). That makes it so much more approachable for younger kids, for folks looking for "clean" reads, and the like.

Sixth, the point that teens in particular, but extrapolated to all people in general, need to be productively engaged and, I dare say it, WORKING is a very cool one to make in a middle grade/YA novel.

Finally, I enjoyed the style in which it was written and the illustrations are a terrific complement to the "feel" of the text. This would make a great movie.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghetto Cowboy.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I really do think that this would make for a very heartwarming movie, even though I am about 90 pages into it!

Betsy It totally would!

SKITTLES!!! Totally agree with you. It was such a good book!!!