Mark Soone's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

Apr 05, 12

liked it
Read on April 04, 2012

I am still petitioning goodreads to develop a 10 star system rather than 5...or at least give us the option of a half star. I would go 3.5 for this book, but came just short of being able to justify a rating of 4 stars,

I have never heard of Delaney, but recieved a recommnedation comparing this to the Rangers Apprentice. It really is not even remotely similar (other than the title of Apprentice), and by my preferences not quite as enjoyable as Flanagan's work.

This book had a decent premise and plot based upon the mystical powers of a seventh son of a seventh son. Coming from a farming family, unable to sustain the property splits that would be involved among this many children, the 6 younger sons are all apprenticed of to other tradesmen. Thomas Ward becomes the hero of a new series, serving as the apprentice to the spook to protect the citizens from all manner of beasties. The book contains a good deal of action, and periolous situations designed by my guess for middle schoolers and tweens. The character development was a little bit shallow by my liking, but all in all the heroes are very likeable.

I am interested to see how the series and characters develop, although I have been told that only a few months pass in the first 3 books so that character development might be stunted a little bit during this short term period..I guess I will find out as I have the next 2 reserved at my locallibrary.

I would recommend this for tweens/teens looking for a solid fantasy story, as well as fantasy enthusiasts who understand the younger target audience feel of this book. I usually prefer more in the D&D fantasy mold, so those into boogarts, witches, ghasts and ghosts might be interested in this as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.

04/04/2012 page 215