Ana T.'s Reviews > The Sinner

The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen

May 02, 2012

bookshelves: mysteries-thrillers, read-in-2012, contemporary
Read in April, 2012

After having read the first two books in the Rizzoli & Isles series I was really curious about what was going to happen next. Would we know more about Dr Maura Isles? How would Jane Rizzoli go on after the developments at the end of the last book?

I am very happy to say that this story was an absolute page turner for me. I kept turning the pages and didn't want to put it down, except when I really had to, before I found out what had really happened.

A lot has been going on in Jane Rizzoli's life and soon she will have to make a decision about what she really wants in life. While she is given a lot of space in this story I felt the main role was left to Dr Maura Isles. As we got to know Rizzoli in the last book we are now treated to a view of Isles' private and professional life, I would guess the author wants to give them equal space in future books.

I did like the mystery very much. From the beginning I thought Gerritsen was taking us in one direction just to find out that the important stuff was actually something totally different. And she manages to make Isles 'personal life a part of that too. The three murders are actually connected, it doesn't seem that way for most of the story but when Gerritsen finally starts connecting all the dots she is absolutely brilliant.

What I didn't find very believable was Rizzoli's heart to heart with her mother and what that leads her to decide. I wish it had been more of a personal decision and that we had seen more of her relationship with Dean. I certainly would have liked to feel a bit more romance between them instead of just jumping to that final scene.

Grade: 4,5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sinner.