Kathryn's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Oct 28, 08

Recommended to Kathryn by: read an article about it in the Mill Valley Times
Read in October, 2008

A sweet, charming and beautiful story about friendship, humanity, heart-full-ness and courage. And I have such a special place in my heart for letters-between-friends; and have made some good friends through letter-writing, so the premise of the story is just too-too perfect! The historical aspect was also very interesting; the island of Guernsey was the only place on British soil occupied by the Germans during WWII. Mercifully (to me, anyway) only a few of the letters dealt with some of the more dreadful details of the occupation, and most of them are delivered in a fairly gentle way, though I was still sickened by some of it--and of course the whole premise is horribly depressing and heartbreaking--but the book is all about the brave souls who strove to keep their kindness and strength through it all (not just the Guernsey residents but even a few of the German soldiers sent to occupy it) and how good books helped them to do it. And the story takes place during the brighter times after the Allied victory. Yet the story is more than a "just sunshine after the rain" tale, it shows how so many were able to find the rainbows while it was still pouring. Also, so much of it is based on the present; on sharing a love of literature, of Guernsey--there's some romance, too. The characters are all so interesting and I feel that I have become friends with them through all their dear letters.

***************************************************************
Hurrah! I finally reached the front of the que on the library waiting list and have already read the first few letters. I'm planning to snuggle up with blankets and tea this weekend with this cozy and congenial book.

10/14/2008 page 71
10/14/2008 page 71
25.91% "it's so delightful!"
10/27/2008 page 200
72.99% "-ish. I need to hurry up and finish this as it's due this week and I can't renew it because it's so popular!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann I hope it's well worth the wait!:D

Kathryn Thanks! It has really high reviews, and also an article on the author was in the Mill Valley newspaper over the summer (I think one M&D got for me?) so I was already quite intersted in it but I had no idea it was such a popular, huge release!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Me either! How neat though!:)

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann This sounds really great! I'm glad you were able to read it!! And I love your review! The bit about: "it shows how so many were able to find the rainbows while it was still pouring" is very poetic! You should use that in a book some day;>

Kathryn Haha! I was in an interesting mood! ;-p

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann ;P lol

message 7: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt This one sounds very intriguing, and I loved your review; sounds like a book I'll be checking out soon ;-)

Kathryn I think you would like it, especially with your interest in WWII, Q. It's a very interesting little piece of WWII history, with Guernesy being the only part of Britian occupied by the Germans.

message 9: by Qt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Qt Thanks so much for recommending this one; Mom and I both really enjoyed it!

Kathryn You're welcome! I'm so glad!

Trudy Your review was well written! There's nothing more heartfelt than letters between friends. The book had an intimate nature because of it.

Kathryn Trudy wrote: "Your review was well written! There's nothing more heartfelt than letters between friends. The book had an intimate nature because of it."

Thank you, Trudy! :-)

Trudy I loved this book! At first, I thought okay...this is sweet, whimsical, etc...but when the residents of Guernsey were revealed; I saw their compassion for each other was amazed. This is a very enjoyable book, that gives us a true glimpse into German occupation during WWII.