Valentina's Reviews > Unspoken

4197862
Apr 08, 2012

did not like it
Read from April 04 to 07, 2012

Oh, the disappointment! I had such high hopes for this book, but it is one I recommend you stay far, far away from unless you’re very forgiving in you reading.
First things first. Whoever thought to market this book as a “gothic novel” has done the book a great disservice. This is in no way, shape, or form gothic. It doesn’t even have whiff of gothic. If you’re expecting, like I was, to read something akin to Jane Eyre, or Rebecca, or any of those great novels, then you’ll be as disappointed as I was. There is no sense of mood, of atmosphere in this novel. We are not overtaken by the dark landscape or the mystery surrounding a particular place. No. All you get with this book are quirky and gimmicky phrases that get boring and annoying after the first page. There is no levity in gothic novels, and this book reads more like a Gossip Girl one than a real, serious story.
The characters all sound the same, again, because of the funny, tongue-in-cheek way the author writes. Kami is the worst of the bunch, with a personality as grating as a zester. The writing is mediocre at best, and it reads much more like the fan-fictions you read on the internet than a real, honest book. And really, the amount of times the word “sorcerer” is used throughout the last half of the novel is enough to want to fling the book (or in my case, the laptop) into the nearest wall.
As you can see, this is one I really, truly, disliked. I doubt I will be reading anything else by this author.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.