Jillian Heise's Reviews > Red Knit Cap Girl

Red Knit Cap Girl by Naoko Stoop

May 24, 12

bookshelves: picture-books-in-my-room

Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends

RED KNIT CAP GIRL is a charming picture book with a quiet story and beautiful artwork of the forest and animals and sunset and night sky. Red Knit Cap Girl is a great example of a curious little girl who is determined to do what she can to find out what she wants to know - and what she wants to know, is how to reach the moon in order to talk to her. When she can't figure it out on her own, she takes advice from the forest animals to find the wise owl who knows everything. Owl lets Red Knit Cap Girl know that the moon will listen if she knows someone is waiting for her. All of the forest animals come together to help Red Knit Cap Girl figure out a plan to let the moon know they are waiting for her.

I appreciated the spirit of community and helpfulness and coming together that was shown through Hedgehog, Bear, Squirrel, and White Bunny as they helped Red Knit Cap Girl in her plan to celebrate the moon so she comes close enough to talk to. When the plan doesn't at first work, Red Knit Cap Girl figures out why and what is wrong, and remedies the situation. Ultimately it's a story full of hope and wishfulness brought to life at the end when realizing that the moon will always be there, and can be seen when it is dark and quiet.

RED KNIT CAP GIRL is a delightful story about curiousity and imagination and nature and community; although, I did wish that there had been an actual name for the girl because it is a mouthful to repeat over and over (especially for a read aloud). I will definitely use this one in my classroom to share with my students.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Knit Cap Girl.