Dick's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Aug 21, 08

Recommended for: A damned fine read from one of America's most important living authors.
Read in August, 2008

Wanted to put in a quick plug for the audio version of Cormac McCarthy's The Road read by Tom Stechschulte. I believe it is the finest audio book I have ever listened to -- McCarthy's riveting prose and Stechschulte's powerful voice combine to stunning effect. I literally could not stop listening, hiking mile upon mile around the streets of Seattle with my CD player jogging on my hip, drinking in McCarthy's story of a destroyed world filled with pain, fear and desperation, relieved only by the dogged love of a father for his son.

As with many audio books, but particularly in the case of this author, I would also recommend a hard copy either as a companion or as a follow-on read. A not inconsiderable part of the joy of reading McCarthy involves reveling in his powerful use of language, of re-reading his exquisitely crafted metaphors and perfectly elliptical constructions which, in addition to being things of great beauty in isolation, still move the story line along with dispatch. In short, there will be times you will want to stop and go over a passage in detail, to pause for reflection or simply to let the raw emotion of this elemental story wash over you. The audio production is wonderful but the format is not ideal for these moments.

In this respect I'm suggesting you consider handling this audio book as you might a Shakespeare play. The live performance will be unforgettable but having the written pages at hand to savor at leisure provide yet another level of enjoyment with each approach complementing the other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Well-written review, Dick. And, I'm going to take you up on this recommendation. We need your presence here more often!