Tracy's Reviews > Preloved

Preloved by Shirley Marr

May 27, 12

bookshelves: ya-romance, young-adult-fantasy, ghost

This is three and a half stars. It's really a delightful way to spend a few hours. It tells the story of sixteen year old Amy Lee. She is the self described sidekick of the beautiful Rebecca. A petite Asian girl who doesn't really fit in, not with the other Asian kids at her school, not with anyone. Even Amy and Rebecca don't really fit together even though they are BFF's. Amy finds a locket a silver heart with the picture of a boy in it. Unfortunately the locket was really meant for Rebecca. But Amy finds it and starts wearing it and starts being followed by a ghost. The ghost of the boy in the picture (a dish named Logan). Through her interactions with Logan (at first he frightens then annoys her, gradually she begins to love him) she discovers where she came from, develops a new closeness with her mother, let's go of her bitterness towards her absent father and finds some new friends and a sense of belonging. Amy is a fun character bitter and funny and snarky, Logan is wiser than he seemed at first and I loved her mother, a very superstitious but loving Chinese mother ( not a " tiger mom", she even points this out at one point in the book). I loved the pop culture references in this book and I loved her mother's little vintage store. Now I just need to find out what a Milo is!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preloved.