J.'s Reviews > Hollywood Hills

Hollywood Hills by Joseph Wambaugh

Apr 11, 12

Read from April 04 to 11, 2012

The last book in Wambaugh's "Hollywood" series is more of everything that makes the series so enjoyable. The formula doesn't change but the players do and the masterful way that he maneuvers the pieces of the puzzle to their ultimate conclusion is once again quite effective and the banter between the characters pops right off the page. The criminal plan in this installment is centered around art theft and deception and once again a couple of drug addled micro-criminals somehow complicate things in an amusing manner and the cops show up to pick up the pieces. As the series goes on the level of effective police work seems to drop. Look at the detective work done in Hollywood Station in regards to the jewelry store robbery as compared to here in Hills where the cops are almost an ancillary force that occurs after-the-fact. It makes quite the statement. It feels like this will be the final entry with these characters, due to certain events around the finale of the novel, but I hope I'm wrong and we revisit this world again because I like what Wambaugh has done with the characters and I'm sure there's more stories to be told. After all, "it's f##king Hollywood."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollywood Hills.