Jennifer's Reviews > I Know This Much Is True

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

F 50x66
Dec 10, 2008

Read in December, 2008

one of the best books i have ever read.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know This Much Is True.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue I read this book several summers ago. I chose it because of a personal connection. My oldest sister, who is eighteen years older, was diagnosed with schizophrenic paranoia when she was twenty years old. My childhood memories are shaped by moments in her "journey." A journey beginning in the sixties and continuing to this day. In those days, treatment for mental illness was a world away from the treatments and knowledge we have now. There were less effective meds, institutions, shock therapy, etc. More stigma, than even today.

This book is well worth reading. It enlightens the reader to better understand the inside world of a family dealing with mental illness nd how they handle it. Especially more poignant since the man affected is a twin. The range of emotions you feel is unforgettable.

Jennifer thanks for writing me. i know how you feel. while i do not have a sibling with the exact disorder, i have two with others and it is amazing to realize how being the "normal one" can make you almost as "crazy" as the one with the mental issue. i love this book so much. i have cried, laughed and felt like i actually know these people.

i am looking to purchase, She's Come Undone. have you read this one (wally lamb's first)?

thank you!

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue I haven't read it yet, but thought it might be good.
I'm checking my library for it.

My niece told me about this site. I like reading all the reviews here. It makes choosing books so much easier!

My sisters and I worried about having the same problems as my sister, but we're fine. I know what that's like, too.