Z's Reviews > Bitten

Apr 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 04 to 09, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Elena is living with a secret, she's escaped her old life and lover to live as normally as she can in the human world. But she's the only female werewolf in the world.

I wanted to like this, I really did, having read Stray and realising how much it ripped this book off I was desperate to like it, but the problem was the same as in Stray. The characters aren't really likeable. Actually for anyone who has read both, Elena is more likable than Faythe and Clay is less likeable than Marc. The result is, you're not really rooting for any of them because they all do such stupid things it's infuriating.

My main issues with Clay are first and foremost, he was the one who did this to her. Seemingly in a moment of panic, he bit her and subjected her to a life she didn't want, as much as she adjusted to it. Second was that he tied her hands to stop her fighting his sexual advances early in the book. Yes, he told her to say no and he would stop, but the implication is that she wants to but can't, that in itself turned me off Clay almost completely. It's hard to feel compelled to like him after that or feel any sympathy for him in any situation. Yet Elena (smart woman that she is) continues to be more and more taken in by him in spite of this.

My other problem with this book is that a lot of information seems to be irrelevant, you could probably easily cut the book down by cutting out the descriptions and heavy linking backstories. I thought they were all tending to something, but for the most part they seem to have no relevance to the book. Same with the several short spurts of action sequences. It didn't do much to move the story along and it bothered me to skim through them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitten.

04/04/2012
04/04/2012
21.0% "Okay I realise people said Stray ripped this off, but I didn't realise the extent to which it does."
04/08/2012
32.0% "Okay not crazy about awkward psuedo rape thank you."
04/08/2012
38.0% "Actually not too compelling at this point."
show 2 hidden updates…