Matt's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, female-author, fiction, romance, political
Read from April 04 to 05, 2012

It didn't do what I generally want from my dystopian novels... it kinda lacked the political element that makes those books kick ass. It had some of it in there, but mostly, it was just a very personal journey of one woman, and was kind of dissatisfying in terms of providing details about the world she was living in, though later in the book they give a few more glimpses into how it got to that point. That said, most of the explanation about the world itself was provided in the "lecture" postscript, which annoyed me because it was written in academic speak, and because unlike Orwell's "On Newspeak" at the end of 1984, it didn't feel peripheral; it felt central to the actual plot.

I recognize what she was trying to do with this book, and I think she did it well, but I found that I was getting annoyed with the slow pace and extremely sparse sprinkling of tidbits on what was going on in the book's world as a whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.