Bob Lopez's Reviews > The Flame Alphabet

The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus

Apr 07, 12

it was ok
Read from April 04 to 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** When precisely did this book fall apart for me? Page 141. The beginning of part 2. For the previous several chapters I'd already begun to feel skepticism about the premise and how it would be sustained. I knew the idea could be sustained, but I was beginning to realize that this wasn't the author to do it. What the hell was going on in this book? The weird, secret, two-people synagogue in the woods (with piped-in service and joyless post-service coitus), the Narrator's unlikely homemade science experiments, the lab...continuing his "work" at the lab (what...he just had all these alphabets in his head??), the TV w/ the live broadcast of his front door??? What???

Look, I don't mind weird, I love weird. Even weird for the sake of weird. But this weird felt insincere and went nowhere and fell apart more times than I'd care to admit. I should have stopped reading it. Boo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flame Alphabet.

04/04/2012 page 62
04/06/2012 page 145
50.0% "It's weird, and vague, but not in a spooky way (though that's clearly the objective). It's vague in a confusing way."
04/06/2012 page 205
71.0% "Hey, book, you're starting to really suck."