Katya's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

May 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012, antiheroes, dramarama, fantasy, holy-hell, oh-come-on, teen-lit, uk, arc-galley, the-ya-project
Read from April 04 to May 01, 2012

Damn... I did not see that coming. No, not at all.

Kami Glass has lived in Sorry-in-the-Vale all her life. She's always been considered a bit of an outsider, due to her grandmother's foreign heritage and her own penchance to spend copious amounts of time with her imaginary friend.

Only he is not so imaginary. When the Lynburns, a mysterious family that is more or less the lords of the Vale, return, one of the younger boys turns out not to be Jared - the boy Kami has talked to all her life, and who is, in fact, very taken with her. As the two of them uncover the secrets around the Lynburns and Sorry-in-the-Vale, they will have to figure a way to deal with this sudden change in their lives.

Okay, first of all, I read this book as an e-galley from the publishers. I don't know if that means that edits and copy-edits are done or not yet, but I'm pretty sure that the minor gripes I had with the writing would not be present in the finished version.

I won't lie, I have a soft spot in my heart for SRB. Her characters always make me crack up, even if there is nothing to crack up about, and I love it how she takes the old cliches of the genre and turns them up on their heads. The bad boy who has a heart of gold is still a very bad boy. The inexplicable connection the two leads feel between each other has, in fact, an explenation, and it's not a pretty one. She also focuses a lot on the themes of family and friendship, rather than love. It's all very refreshing.

Kami in particular is a delightful heroine - proactive, funny and headstrong. She's not afraid to fight for her friends, and is fiercely protective of those she cares about, but she's also vulnerable and sweet and has her limits. I always like that about SRB's heroines, because they manage to stay true to themselves and they're adamant against accepting a relationship with anyone before they stand on equal ground.

That, however, leads me to a couple of minor gripes I have with the story. Pay attention, it's gripes , not problems. This is stuff about the book that wasn't problematic, per se, but made me really pause and reflect.

Warning: The following section has spoilers for Unspoken and The Demon's Lexicon books.

description

(view spoiler)

Note: A copy of this book was provided by the publishers via NetGalley for the purposes of this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

04/04/2012 "So the book starts off with a note from the editor telling us how this is not like any YA book out there. description" 3 comments
04/04/2012
57.0% " "Can you tell me where I could find books on Satanism? Kami, love, I'm liking you more and more."
04/04/2012
37.0% " "Well, mi amore, this is awesome news! Let's get right on that," *dies*"
04/04/2012
24.0% "Book, imma like you and imma gonna finish you, and if you cut the floozy talk, we'll be BFFs, m'kay? Mwah!"
04/04/2012
40.0% "ROFLMAO Okay... okay.... *laughs some more* OKAY! First of all, I think I died laughing. Second, Jared looks a bit too much like Nick from the Lexicon. Just sayin."
05/01/2012
49.0% "Ruining your cousin's date with the girl you like? Oh, Jared, you delightful douchenozzle!"
05/01/2012
86.0% "Oh, FFS Jared, stop throwing hissy fits whenever someone is trying to be reasonable."