Christi Snow's Reviews > Born to Darkness

Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann

Apr 04, 12

Read in March, 2012

My Review:
When I first started this blog, it was because I was completely immersed with Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter world and NEEDED to share that passion with someone...and so a book review blog was born. This is her first book she's released since she finished the Troubleshooter series and I wasn't sure how it would go. Why did I ever doubt this author's brilliance? I'm a little scared to say it, but I could maybe just love this world even more than I loved the Troubleshooters. OMG, this book was so good!!!

What surprised me most is that there is a paranormal aspect to this series and I absolutely LOVED it. This world is set in the near future...and the future isn't so great for most people. Jobs are scarce, basic services like healthcare and police protection are non-existent unless you are part of the very exclusive rich. In this new world, it's been discovered that people can use more of their brain power. Some have the capability to do it naturally, called Greater-Than's, and other's use incredibly expensive, addictive, and dangerous drugs, called Destiny, to do so. Not only is the drug dangerous, but it has to be made from the blood of those who can naturally use those extra parts of their brain so there is a very lucrative slave market for those people.

There is a whole team in this book who are from the Obermeyer Institute. The OI is a privately funded organization which is made up of Greater-Thans who work to find the Destiny distributors and do their own research into these new skills.

The bulk of this book is about Mac and Shane. Mac is one of the top 3 Other-Than's at the OI. Her power is empathy and she can switch everything about her aura and appearance to appeal to others. She uses this skill to draw in men...both on missions and when she needs an extra boost. She's discovered when she's hurt, she can boost her healing powers by having sex.

Shane is a former SEAL who's been dishonorably discharged for doing the right thing within a corrupt government. As a result, he's been blacklisted and has no opportunities for other employment. He came on OI's radar as a potential Greater-Than and is slated to go in for testing which requires a lock-down and loss of freedom. As a result, he decides he needs one last fling and meets Mac just when she is in need of some healing mojo. When they get together, literally sparks fly and it turns out Shane does more than just boost Mac's healing power. At the time, she has no idea he's slated to become a new OI potential. And that's the way it starts...

Whoa! OMG, this book was so good. Not only do you have these two incredible characters with Shane and Mac. Mac is scarred and wounded from the chaos her powers have wrought. Shane is just...YUM, incredible. Mac keeps pushing him away and he just keeps pushing her right back. He refuses to give up on her and their relationship no matter how many times she pushes him away. Gah, he was awesome!!!

Then there are the other amazing characters in this book:

*Bach- who is the most powerful Greater-Than at OI. He is such an amazing being, but so freaking vulnerable. I think his scenes in this book are absolutely the most emotional. My heart just ached for him...over and over again.

*Diaz- he shares second in command with Mac. He's been with OI for 15 years and unlike Mac has taken all their edicts to heart...including their push towards abstinence...15 years, people!!! This was an absolutely fantastic story line because he does have his own romantic story in this book and it was so romantic and beautiful. So perfectly well-done!

*Elliot- OI's head doctor. He's knows all the in's and out's of this team in every regard, until Diaz's secret knocks him upside the head. Such an amazing story!

*Anna- her little sister Nika has been kidnapped to help make the drug Destiny and she's looking to OI for help. There's a great story here between her and Bach and an interesting twist at the end with Nika. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

*Nika- 13 yo kidnap victim. The drug is made off their fear so her capture is horrible, but she is so incredibly strong. She has had no training on her skills but she's incredibly powerful already.

EVERYTHING about this book was simply perfection. I LOVED IT and cannot wait for the next installment in the series!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Darkness.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Shoshanna Loved your review and completely agree with everything you said...even though I'm only 10 chapters in so far lol!! I've never read Suzanne Brockmann before but this book is awesome!!