Cornmaven's Reviews > The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: high-school
Read in April, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The zombie apocalpyse continues, but Ryan manages to all but kill my interest in continuing with the saga. I loved The Forest of Hands and Teeth, found it thematically intriguing with an interesting dystopia. In Dead-Tossed Waves, Ryan's protagonist is a sheltered, self-absorbed, boy crazy, whiny teen who is jolted out of her cocoon by a stupid teenage risk. Now her life and that of the boy she thinks she loves is threatened. You would think this might shock her out of her self-absorption, but no. She even does the discovery road trip, but that fails to mature her. I was sick of her by the end: I love Catcher - no I love Elias - no I love Catcher - no I love Elias - oh I just don't know who I love! Poor little me!

Ryan used way too many words. She's got Gabry facing some typical growing up realizations, but they are totally buried in these endless angst filled musings. I found the contrast between her mother's maturity in the first book and Gabry's immaturity very striking. Perhaps that was Ryan's point about overarching safety versus facing risk and danger in the world, but it gets lost in the wordiness.

I gave this 3 stars because I liked the action scenes, and some of the imagery - especially the masses of Mudo near the end. I liked Mary's use of Shakespeare sonnets to remember the path back home, for after all the situation is very Shakespearean. I liked the Soulers group, and wish she had done a little more with that. I felt her depiction of Vista was weak. She didn't spend enough time on that community, nor did she do much new world building, which weakens the book imho. About the only reason I would read the third one would be to see what the Dark City is like and perhaps learn why it's called that. But I could toss Gabry into the dead-tossed waves right now and feel no loss.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead-Tossed Waves.