Brenda's Reviews > Dirty Little Angels

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: own-read, reviewing-by-request
Read from April 13 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

Reviewed by request

The story of Hailey Trosclair and her brother Cyrus takes place in abject poverty in New Orleans, where their father has lost his job, so drinks and plays pool all day. Their mother just had a miscarriage, and she is overwhelmed by grief and depression. Hailey spends her days at school with a girlfriend Meridian, who is not such a good friend after all. At night and on the weekends, Hailey drifts with Cyrus as her companion, and they spend a lot of time with Moses, a failed preacher and ex con, who is a very bad influence on them, and everyone around them. When Moses’ ideas and twisted religious beliefs draw them into his violent world, the horror and fear create more problems than they ever had before.

Dirty Little Angels is not my sort of book, and I struggled to finish it, although I did manage to. The story just ‘ended’, leaving me frustrated, and I’m still not sure what the meaning of the story was. It seemed like the book was filled with a lot of violent criminals who never seemed to get caught, all living in a dirty, drug riddled, downtrodden world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Little Angels.