Jenny Tang's Reviews > Becoming Madame Mao

Becoming Madame Mao by Anchee Min

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: favorites

Simply remarkable.
Anchee Min displays the character of Jiang Ching in such vivid manner!
Many may think the style of Min's writing is confusing, as she uses first person and then third person. I, on the other hand, find this writing style creative and engaging. It's carefree and let's me understand more of the personality of Madame Mao. Each character has their own structure and Min has let you understand the characters through their traits and actions.
As a 14 year old high schooler, I did firstly find this book harder to understand and engage to. But once I read a few pages more I immediately became attached the Madame Mao's character; a strong minded young girl with the determination to stand out. Once again, this book is easier to engage into if you were familiar with Mao's period. If I offered this to any other classmate in my class, they would probably most instantly refuse or throw the book away after reading the first few pages. I raise all compliments and applause to this brilliant book and I totally recommend all who is interested to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Madame Mao.