Julie's Reviews > Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War

Stargate Atlantis by Elizabeth Christensen

Mar 15, 15

bookshelves: speculative-fiction, 2012-reads, women-writers
Read from April 04 to 07, 2012

For the most part I enjoyed this story in the Stargate verse. It isn't my favourite, but the build up to the story has a whole was well done, and I enjoyed the background on the newest alien race, but I did find that the twist was given away too soon, and thought the author could have dragged out some aspects of the storyline a little longer.

The characters in the book were very well done, I think the author did a great job at keeping the characters close to who they're suppose to be. I found a few nitpicks here and there, but the author stayed fairly true to the individual character seen on the show. Elizabeth Weir is one of the best examples in this particular book.
The plot was also very interesting, although I found certain aspects resolved to quickly, especially regarding the "fallen team members." Now I knew of course these particular characters weren't actually dead, as they appear in other books, and are essential to the series - but I thought it was revealed to the other characters that they were not dead to soon - I would have loved to see more development with the other characters and their reactions, emotional development with this. Instead I felt the focus was on the other aspects of the plot, acting as a mediator between two races on a planet, while it was interesting it got repetitive after a while. I was really hoping for more to be focused on the characters we know and love and watching them come to terms with the "loss" of their own.

Overall, it was a good book and probably one of the books in the series I'd recommend to read to fellow fans.