Tracy's Reviews > The Beginner's Goodbye

The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: to-read

I actually would give this one more like 3.5 stars. It was typically Anne Tyler, although with a bit more mysticism than I think she usually does. It was short and sweet. I enjoyed it.

I wasn't surprised by the ending. I'm not sure if I was supposed to be? I'm not sure exactly when I realized what was going to happen. But when it did, I thought, "Oh. Of course."

I do have a tiny quibble though. Enough with the relentless Baltimore-ing. I mean, it's cool to hear/read references to things you know, but sometimes it feels a bit like pandering to the hometown crowd (I'm looking at you too, Laura Lippman!) Does it really matter that the post office was on Deepdene Road? It's certainly not integral to the plot, but it goes just a bit too far in specificity to be a charming detail.

I wonder if all writers who are so associated with a specific place are guilty of this, and I just don't recognize it as much. But, to me, it distracts a tiny bit from the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginner's Goodbye.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Traci (new)

Traci I just read a book that did that--way too much name dropping of places around Denver. It was weird and distracting--like 'yeah--we get it, You're familiar with Colorado. It doesn't matter AT ALL" but it makes me wonder if the author is trying to justify writing off a trip somewhere when they do stuff like that! :P