Nereyda Gonzalez's Reviews > Life is But a Dream

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: arc
Read from April 04 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

***ARC provided by Feiwel & Friends for review***

I was instantly captivated by the cover and book description for Life Is But a Dream. It is definitely unlike any other story I have ever read. We meet Sabrina, and artist who is diagnosed with schizophrenia. Her parents have checked her into The Wellness Center where she meets Alec. She is instantly drawn to him because she knows they have met before, in her dreams. Alec is also instantly drawn to Sabrina because she is unlike any other girl at The Wellness Center. Their relationship is intense!

Alec convinces Sabrina that they aren’t crazy and that everyone else is trying to change them with the medication they get. He convinces Sabrina to stop taking her medication. At first, it seems like Sabrina is actually getting better. But soon, she starts spiraling out of control convinced that the “static” is out to get her.

When I first started reading this book, I don’t think I realized that Sabrina really had an illness. I thought her parents just thought she was crazy because she had a really vivid imagination. But right away, we find out that it’s much more than that. Sabrina is obsessed with Heaven and is always thinking about how she can get there, she has a birthmark on her wrist that is cat-like shaped. She calls her birthmark Fred and she talks to it. She sees the world very differently from the rest of us. I don’t think Alec realizes that Sabrina isn’t well either, but will he find out before it’s too late.
The story is told in the present and alternates to the past, her childhood and the events leading up to her parents taking her to The Wellness Center. If I were to describe this book on one word it would definitely have to be: Intense! From start to finish, this book will have you on the edge of your seat worried about Sabrina and Alec. Brian James does an amazing job creating a story with very realistic characters and events and I LOVED being in Sabrina’s head and seeing the world through her eyes. If you’re looking for a nice break from paranormal YA books, then you definitely have to add this one to your TBR list.

4 out of 5 sparkly stars!

-It should be confusing but somehow it all makes sense to me. It makes sense the way a dream makes sense. The only difference is, I’m awake.

-“Mind if I sit down?” he asks, kicking gently at the empty chair across from where I am. “I won’t bite, I swear. The medicine I’m on makes sure of that. Or, so they tell me.”

-When I see Alec, I’m happy. There’s something about him that makes me want to talk and sing and be noisy-something about him that makes me feel real, like the person I am in my dreams.

-Dr. Richards is trying to take away the part of me that makes me special. That is what she wants. It’s what my parents want too. But it’s not what I want.

-“I really wish I saw things the way you do.” He says. “You’re lucky. I hate almost everything I see, but you can see the beautiful part of everything.”
I turn my head toward him.
The light rests on his body like water.
“You’re the only one who thinks so.” I tell him.
“Yeah, well it’s clear to me that it’s everyone else who’s mental.”
***
Read more of my reviews at:
Nereyda @Mostly YA Book Obsessed
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life is But a Dream.

Quotes Nereyda Liked

Brian James
“My memories are like a shuffled deck of cards, each one coming up at random.”
Brian James, Life is But a Dream

Brian James
“Some memories are presents that I'm unable to unwrap over and over.”
Brian James, Life is But a Dream