Ani Phelps's Reviews > A Step from Heaven

A Step from Heaven by An Na

Apr 03, 12

This book started out a little slow but had me in tears at the end.

It is about a girl who moved to America from Korea when she was four. Being a child of immigrants and an immigrant herself, her parents have strict rules and the transition for her is far from easy.

She started to feel like something was changing in her family. After her grandmother died, her father started drinking and smoking and only went to work sometimes. One night, when she felt something was not right, she stayed up and peeked into her mother's room to see huge bruises all over her back and chest while she was changing. She asked her mother why her father beats her and she makes excuses for him but she knows better. cried herself to sleep that night. The next day she comes home a little late because she was hanging with her only friend. She found her dad on the couch drunk instead of going to work. She exploded on her and beat her because he thought the friend was a bad influence. She almost passed out from her father's kicks and slaps. Her mother jumped in and he started beating her. She knew what to do and gathered up the courage to call the police.
"How may I help you?"
"Please help....my father is killing my mother."

This book really shows the girl's bravery when being faced with difficult decisions while remembering her life in Korea and keeping the traditions.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Step from Heaven.

message 1: by Trinh (new)

Trinh Hey nice review Ani! Anyways, is this book from Ms. Kim or somewhere else? I would like to read this after The Benedict Society book. Plus, it's a true story right?

message 2: by Ani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ani Phelps Hi Trinh!! I got the book from the bay farm library. If you want to borrow it I can probably renew it and let you borrow it.It is like a biography but the story is a little different.

message 3: by Cari (new)

Cari I read this book before! It's really good.

message 4: by Ani (last edited Apr 06, 2012 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ani Phelps you did!!!?

message 5: by Cari (new)

Cari Yeah. The author of this book is good. You should read the other books that she wrote.

message 6: by Ani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ani Phelps sure . I might do that.

message 7: by Trinh (new)

Trinh Um k! Thx tho! I'm still working on finishing my book first! My next book is Mockingjay, so maybe next time? Thx Ani, c yu 2mrw :)