Ivy's Reviews > More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction

More, Now, Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel

Aug 26, 08

I have always had problems with people, with the whole human race. Is it because I'm scared to be hurt or because humans are often unfriendly, selfish and offending? I try so hard to be friendly and gentle, but don't seem to get this back very often. I'm very sensitive, which means that little things in life count and that I think too much about random things. I really wish to be more relaxed and laid back!
Anyway, why am I telling this? I have read a section in Wurtzel's book that I really liked concerning the topic of being friendly:

"And I find myself wanting to tell Pamela that I know she barely knows me, but she has no idea what I have been through in the last year, has no idea what I am going through right now. Pehaps for the first time in my life I understand the value of good manners: I understand that you must be polite to all people at all times because you never know what difficulties they might be struggling with at that precise moment, you never know how the slightest wrong thing that you say could be the last little iota it takes to send a person who is just barely holding it together into a complete breakdown. The one little mistake you make, bumping into someone as you walk busily across a crowded sidewalk, shoving a woman aside as you push your way into a crowded subway car, spilling red wine on someone else's white shirt because you weren't paying attention as you made your rounds trough a cocktail party - you never know if that misguided gesture might not be the reason some poor lost soul ends up in the looney bin."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More, Now, Again.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Ivy.

i'm with you on this. The point of being nice and sensitive at all times was the message i took from this book. i read it ten years ago and it stays with me..

Hope you're doing well and meeting friendly souls..

message 2: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo hmmm , maybe this is worth reading after all. Thanks for the quote/ a lot of self-reflecting going on here .