Kim's Reviews > A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life

A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life by Dana Reinhardt

7520573
Apr 03, 12

Recommended to Kim by: Mark
Recommended for: freshman and sophomore high school students
Read from April 01 to 03, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I thought that this book was a really good book. I thought the voice in the book was very clear and made me call to mind someone Simone's age who was going through all of the emotions that she would naturally be going through. I think I was able to relate to her really well because some of her internal monologues were thoughts that I am certain would have been running through my head at that point in my life as well. I think that having a character that I can so easily relate to is something that makes a book worth reading for me. When I can get in touch with how the character operates, it makes it easier for me to read.

This book deals with some religious themes and the questioning of one's identity regarding religion. I feel that there is a time in everyone's lives (excluding some very well put together people) that they question whether their religion is right for them and even if they have no religion, question whether or not they should have one and what will happen to them when they die.

Bringing Rivka to light the way the book did, the reader had a pretty good idea (as did Simone later on) that there had to be a reason for the sudden contact, and given human nature, a lot of it would call to mind the idea that there is something wrong with Rivka. This later turns out to be correct and Rivka does eventually die of ovarian cancer. To take a teenager who is grappling with so many other life factors and spin the death of her birth mother in there, I think it was very true to life. When it rains, it pours in life and things happen to good people and they sometimes happen to teens in the midst of the rest of their lives.

I think this book is not one that I would necessarily teach, but it is one that I would recommend to my students because I believe there are very valuable and powerful situations and struggles that would make it meaningful for any student.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life.

Mark Great review, Kim. Glad you liked the book. :)