Mitchell's Reviews > Apocalypse

Apocalypse by Troy Denning

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: star-wars
Read from April 03 to 06, 2012

I have read a lot of Star Wars over the years. From Thrawn, to the Jedi Academy series, most of the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Jedi and now Fate of the Jedi. I've read a decent amount of the comics, mostly Old Republic and the way-in-the-future Legacy series. I've watched some Clone Wars, and spent an unfortunate amount of time on Wookiepedia.com. And of course, I've watched the movies many, many times. So, I feel like I have some chops when it comes to the Star Wars Universe (maybe nothing to brag about at dinner parties, but there it is). So believe me when I say that the people at Lucasfilms that hand down orders to all the license holders for Star Wars (whether that is George Lucas or not) really want us to accept and love the prequel in general, and the Clone Wars in specific. You can see it in the video games that have come out; you could see it in the Star Wars minis game that was eventually cancelled; and you can see it in this latest series of books, the Fate of the Jedi series. I mean, they push it on us fans like David Stern pushes the WNBA on basketball fans. So it was with little surprise that I read this book and found it tying strongly into a story line from the Clone Wars animated series. When relating this to a friend of mine who is also a Star Wars guru (IE geek), he asked how I felt about it, and I still don't know. IF the connection was planned from the beginning of the Fate of the Jedi series (and maybe from when that story arc aired on TV), then I guess it's interesting. Quite a crossover actually. However, I can't help suspecting that when discussions were had about how to tie up loose ends in the book and how to explain certain characters that have been introduced, Lucasfilms strongly "suggested" using the Clone Wars story line.

I agree that Star Wars is property of Lucasfilms, and they can do what they want. However, the Extended Universe (books and comics) have been the safe haven for the older Star Wars fans who don't want to see Han Solo lead a dance sequence on the new Kinect game. Lucasfilms wants to engage with the younger, rising generation by introducing characters like Asoka and Jar Jar and by concentrating video games on padawans and dancing minigames? Fine, but leave the books out of it. The books are where Chewbacca died saving Han's son Anakin. The books are where the Yuuzhan Vong took over almost all the galaxy. Luke lost a wife, Han and Leia's one son was killed fighting the voxyn queen and the other became a powerful Sith. Why oh why do we have to let the kiddy Clone Wars series seep into that?

Now that that is off my chest, I will say that I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It's hard not to enjoy it when it seemed like every other chapter was an intense lightsaber battle, with the Sword of the Jedi leaping into a group of Sith with Grand Master Luke wading through like a force of nature. Loose ends were, for the most part tied up. However, it was left quite open for another 9 book series( these series have been long, but the books come out quickly). However, I think this thread of the Star Wars Extended Universe is becoming a bit fray. I love Luke, but he's getting old. How many more years (in the books) can they keep fighting? At some point, they have to retire, if not die, regardless of how effective bacta tanks are. And an interesting wrinkle will be when the books start to catch up with the Legacy comic series. This book actually dealt with issues and characters that are in the Legacy series, but left more questions than answers. I don't know how they are going to answer that, but hopefully it doesn't involve finding a really old Asoka on some un-named Dagobah-like planet.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apocalypse.