Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > In Vino Veritas

In Vino Veritas by Julie  Thomas

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: novel, n-z-author
Read from April 03 to 05, 2012

There are 9 differently-authored books with the title "In Vino Veritas" listed on Goodreads. This one is the right one.

Thank you, Julie Thomas. This book is fun. It's fast-paced, has great characters, the love story is done very nicely, and there's enough technical input about the wine and wine-growing to make it sound authentic. Not that I'd know, to be truthful - apart from maybe seeing a documentary once, or a 5-minute spot on Country Calendar which I wasn't watching at the time, I know next to nothing about the subject. Good wine is wasted on me - my taste buds can discern the nasty cheap stuff that tastes like vinegar, but it has to be exceedingly cheap for the discernment to kick in; and although my sense of smell is excellent when it comes to checking if the milk is close to going off and tracking down little unpleasantnesses that children or animals have left hidden in the house somewhere, when it comes to the nuances of cinnamon or feijoa petals or anything else fascinating that ends up in the wine, the nose just doesn't go there.

At least I don't mix red wine with CocaCola (yes, I do know people who do that, but I won't name them for the reflected shame that might come my way)!

The action in this book had me so engrossed that I nearly missed my train station (and would have been late for the one day a week I've managed to find employment on). The characterisation in this book is perhaps a little superficial - will the #2 in the series be a bit longer? - that might give room for a bit more depth, I don't know ... then it might detract from the pace, which I so enjoyed .... and having said that, I really like Vinnie and Anna so won't say any more about anybody else. But to top it all, this book gave me vicarious pleasure in a field that ordinarily doesn't interest me, and that's brilliant!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Vino Veritas.

04/03/2012 "Started reading this on the train this morning and nearly missed my stop!"