Liz's Reviews > Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems

Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems by Richard Ferber

F_50x66
Apr 03, 12

Read in November, 2011

First, regardless of your views on sleep training and training methods, this book includes a lot of useful general information about sleep and does this better than other books, including Sears. This version supposedly includes a more rigorous treatment of nap problems than previous versions, but I found his solutions to be vague and fall short of promises. If you actually read this book, you'll see that Ferber's method isn't what is depicted in the media; you don't shut your kid away to cry for hours and cause irreparable damage to their brain and personality; I'm a scientist, this isn't what the scientific journal articles conclude anyway.

We tried a modified version of the Ferber method at our pediatrician's recommendation after no-cry tries resulted in a lot of crying, way too many sleepless nights, and an unhealthy exhausted baby. After day two with Ferber, our son went from waking every 90 min to sleeping 7 hours straight. It was tough to hear him cry between our comforting (I cried a lot too), but it ended up being for his own good. This may not be for everyone, but it worked for us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems.